When I cook at home I LOVE to cook something that will last a few days so when I’m busy I have a healthy lunch or dinner already made! My mom used to make lentil soup. It is a great source of protein and veggies and it’s delicious and easy! We were inspired by the Moosewood Cookbook’s recipe but made some changes to make it our own!
- 3 cups dry lentils (I used green because they were the only organic lentils in stock, but I love using a mix of colors!)
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 3 cups of water (if you want a vegetarian soup just use 7 cups of water!)
- 2 t salt
- 8 cloves of garlic, crushed and diced
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 stalks of chopped celery
- 2 medium sliced carrots
- 1/2 t basil
- 1/2 t thyme
- 1/2 t oregano
- 2 T black pepper (to taste)
- 2 ripe tomatos
- red wine
- Bring lentils, water, chicken broth and salt to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer and cook, partially covered for 30 min.
- Add chopped veggies (except tomato) herbs and pepper and cook for another 30 min, partially covered, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes (chopped) and cook for another 5-10 min.
- If lentils are not soft yet, continue cooking, covered. If they are cooked to your desired softness, serve in bowl with fresh sprig of parsley and a dash of red wine on top!