It is easy to understand why conscious consumerism and voting with your dollar is important for sustainability. But sometimes it’s easier said than done. At first I thought it would be very difficult to enjoy fashion and shopping while being a conscious consumer, because I know where most of my clothes are made and it’s hard to find fashionable and sustainable clothing. Luckily many of the brands you already love are taking a big step and becoming more sustainable.
Wearing the clothes you already have is the best thing you can do for the earth. When you need new items for your wardrobe try to find clothes that are made in a way you can support! Buy materials that are good quality and will last. Support buisnesses that are doing something positive.
5 Brands to check out:
- Patagonia: Patagonia is not cheap, but if you want quality and comfort their clothing is built to last and almost all organic materials.
- H&M: I was just as surprised as you, when I read this! You can check out their sustainability report Here.
- Eileen Fisher: My mom has always loved their clothes and I never thought to shop there. When I read about their sustainable business model based on fair wages and human rights, I was intrigued. They have some amazing basics and are worth a look! Click Here for how they’re changing the way the clothing industry is run.
- Prana: similar to Patagonia, is a great place to find sustainable workout clothes and outerwear.
- My first 4 options are brands you can find anywhere but the best thing you can do is find smaller designers making a difference in the fashion industry. Search for up and coming designers you support. Some of my favorites are Allison Parris, Carrie Parry and Elroy. There are way too many talented Eco-friendly designers to list, so start looking!