As the most connected generation ever, millennials put a very strong emphasis on their social lives. Many of my friends don’t try to go home for thanksgiving. Partially because it is so expensive to fly and they live to far away, and partially because it’s just easier to do thanksgiving with your friends! I will be going to a family thanksgiving but yesterday got to do a “Friendsgiving” with friends in LA. We did a southern themed meal so that we wouldn’t have to eat TOO much turkey this week. “Friendsgiving” is the perfect holiday because you don’t have to deal with any family drama and you get an excuse to cook and be merry with your favorite people to hang out with. I brought Kentucky bourbon pie and spiked hot apple cider. Try making them for your “friendsgiving” or thanksgiving. They will be a hit wherever you bring them!
Kentucky Bourbon Pie:
I tried this pie for the first time at a thanksgiving dinner, growing up. My aunt brought it from a local farm. I was never a huge pie person before this pie. But I love chocolate AND bourbon (though i didn’t know it at the time). This pie was the best thing I had ever tasted. It is a super rich, decadent take on the pecan pie. I still use the Verrill Farm recipe with a couple tweaks. I LOVE baking and I bake a lot and this pie is by far the biggest hit I make.
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup dark or light corn syrup (for a healthier pie try using honey or agave instead)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 oz melted butter
- 3 eggs
- 1.5 tsp vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tbls bourbon
For the crust I just make a basic pie shell from the joy of cooking which tastes great. I’ve also made gluten free crusts. Make whatever pie shell you like that fills a 9 inch pie pan.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- put the chocolate chips in bottom of pie shell and then sprinkle pecans over the chips
- melt the butter and set aside to cool
- mix the corn syrup (or substitution), brown sugar, eggs vanilla and salt together in bowl
- add the butter and bourbon carefully to the mixture once the butter is cool and be careful, they may splash!
pour over the chips and nuts and bake until set and puffy. usually about 45 minutes! ENJOY!
Spiked Hot Apple Cider:
- unfiltered apple cider
- 2 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- pineapple juice
- orange peel
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- apple jack
- Put cloves, cinnamon sticks and 2 pieces of orange peel in pot
- add a jug of apple cider and OJ and pineapple juice
- mull in spices for 20 min until hot and add more spices to taste
- add shot of apple jack and whisky to mug and pour cider over
- garnish with nutmeg or cinnamon stick. if you like sweet things you can even do a cinnamon sugar rim! If you want something spiked but less strong, skip the bourbon and just use apple jack or apple brandy.