What does it take to be successful?
It takes a lot of practice & patience.
At least thats what I was taught from a very young age. While I do think it takes a great amount of both of those things, I believe one key ingredient is missing for a lot of people (including myself at times). That thing is:
What holds us back?
For us human types, the biggest setback we face in life is self doubt. Doubting that we can’t achieve our goals. Doubting that we aren’t good enough. Doubting that we aren’t intelligent enough. Doubting that we can actually do anything.
That self-doubt is an endless rabbit hole. Once you board the train of self-doubt it can be quite hard to ever get off. If you are lucky, you do; and you are fine for quite some time. But, then BAM there’s that self-doubt smacking you in the face again.
But, what if we just stopped doubting ourselves and accepted that to be successful the first step we have to take is to believe in ourselves.
For me, I know a huge thing that holds me back from completely believing in myself is my fear of coming off as arrogant. There is a very thin line when it comes to being confident versus being arrogant. It is humility. When you are wrong, admit that you are wrong.
“Some people say I have attitude – maybe I do… but I think you have to. You have to believe in yourself when no one else does – that makes you a winner right there.” –Venus Williams
Why you should BELIEVE in yourself a little more:
1. It will make you more confident. Confidence is extremely important in almost every single life scenario. Job Interview. First Date. Work Presentations. Life. It’s an essential tool in having people listen to your thoughts and opinions. Confidence can only come from believing you can do it.
2. It will help you experience life to the fullest. By believing in yourself you will take on more challenges that put you out of your comfort zone. Think about it. You could go skydiving. You could ask for the raise at work that you definitely deserve. You can do anything that you want to do.
3. It will help relieve the pressure we put on ourselves to be successful. Once we start believing that we will be successful, we won’t judge our failures so harshly. We will forget about evaluating how successful we aren’t at this point and we will start focusing on the big picture: IT WILL HAPPEN.
4. It will be more fun. Life will be a lot more fun if you’re on your own team. You will find more joy in everything you do because you know that the outcome will eventually happen. Yes it may take some time, but you should be able to smile and enjoy the ride.
5. It will make you more successful. If you walk into a room believing you are going to get the job, you will most likely get the job. The people in the room are going to take note of the awesome energy you are putting out there. They’re going to start believing that you are something special. They are going to start to believe in you too.
If you whole heartedly believe in yourself or your idea, you will be successful. Other people will start to take note and come along for the ride. You should always be your number one fan. If you don’t believe in yourself why would anyone else want to believe in you?
I wanted to share this great video of Oprah explaining how we sometimes think we believe in ourself but subconsciously we are living differently.
Wishing you Health, Wealth & Happines,