I LOVE coffee. It is often considered a vice so it is important to remember the amazing health benefits of coffee and how to make sure you are getting the best beans.
Know what you’re getting- Knowledge is power. Make sure you know what is in the coffee drink you are ordering. That notorious list of all the terrible things in the pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks that floats around every fall was a wake up call for many people. Just because it tastes like pumpkin doesn’t mean that’s what’s flavoring it. It is SUPER important to know what’s in the food and beverages you consume so check out what’s in the coffee you order and how much sugar it is loaded with. This does not mean you can’t order a delicious flavored latte. There are so many great coffee places in LA with naturally flavored coffee drinks. The coffee bean even serves an organic coffee now.
The health benefits of coffee-
- Coffee gives you energy from the caffeine
- Caffeine helps the neurotransmitters in your brain increase he firing of neurons (aka coffee makes you smarter ;))
- Coffee can help you burn fat by boosting your metabolic rate
- Coffee makes you work out harder and improves your physical performance by increasing adrenaline
- Coffee is packed with antioxidants it is the largest source of antioxidants in the standard western diet
- Coffee includes essential nutrients including Vitamin B2 and Magnesium and potassium
- Coffee may lower your risk of type 2 diabetes. Studies show that coffee drinkers have a 23-50% lower chance of getting the disease.
- They also have a lower risk of getting Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementia, Cirrhosis and Parkinson’s Disease
- Coffee makes you happier! A Study at Harvard in 2011 found that women who drink coffee have a 20% lower chance of becoming depressed
With all those amazing reasons to continue to pick up your coffee every day, here are my Top 5 Specialty Coffee Drinks in LA:
- The Tuscan Latte at Sycamore Kitchen on La Brea – This place also has AMAZING food so definitely try it. The Tuscan Latte has rosemary infused Stumptown espresso, caramel and honey. It is very interesting and different and absolutely delicious. They also have an amazing REAL pumpkin latte for fall.
- The Lavender Latte at Atticus – I love lavender anything. When I went to Atticus I got a lavender latte and a lemon lavender pie… The latte was much more impressive than the pie. Interestingly it is also Stumptown coffee. The lavender is herbal and aromatic like a chai latte but even better!
- The Mocha at Coffee Commissary- Coffee commissary sources from different micro roasters each season, offering the best tasting coffee constantly. I go to the location on Fairfax which is featuring Coava coffee from Guatemala right now. The mocha is exceptional here. You actually get little bits of ganache while sipping.
- The Vanilla Latte at Mojo- Like the classic Starbucks drink but so much better. Mojo is located at Easton Gym co. on Beverly Blvd. They are basically a smoothie and juice bar for the gym above but their amazing Blue Bottle coffee makes them so much more! I love the ambiance here and they have super friendly service and the drinks are delicious.
- The Latte at Verve coffee on Melrose- Verve originated in Northern California and there is a new location right next to another spot they own, the amazing Gracias Madre, on Melrose. Verve is possibly the most aesthetically pleasing coffee shops I have ever seen. The design is absolutely breathtaking and the music is pumping, it is definitely more than a neighborhood coffee shop. If you’re looking for something new and exciting check Verve out. The coffee is amazing and they serve pastries mostly from Short Cake which is another of my favorite spots.