In honor of our upcoming trip to Vegas this weekend for our dear friend’s 30th birthday, I’d like to offer you some tips about how to have fun this summer while taking it easy on your body!
We all like to go crazy once in a while, but try following these simple tips to feel better during the night out and the morning after!
We all know alcohol is hard on our liver and has loads of calories that we don’t like to think about, but some alcoholic beverages also have other things we should be avoiding like tons of sugar, artificial dyes and flavors and in the case of Fireball, the same chemical compounds found in antifreeze. Yuck!
Here are some tips you can use for choosing drinks when you’re out!
1. Know what’s in your cocktail. Choose something with real ingredients. Most bars have great drinks with real fruit, house-made syrups and natural sweeteners like agave. Just because you’re being “bad” and drinking doesn’t mean you have to throw away all your other healthy habits!
2. Stay away from excess sugar! We all know how bad a hangover can be. Hangovers don’t just come from drinking too much. Drinking sugary cocktails masks the flavor of the alcohol and causes us to believe we aren’t drinking as much. We are already poisoning our bodies with alcohol, so we don’t need to be shocking them with loads of extra sugar as well. Make sure the sweetener in your drink is natural and that you aren’t consuming too much of it!
3. Drink the good stuff. I’m not telling you to buy top shelf alcohol all the time, just make an effort to know what’s in it and how it’s made. Many cheaper alcohols are less pure and have more hazardous ingredients. You have probably noticed that when you drink the nicer stuff, you get less of a hang over and even feel better while drinking. In many cases, cheap alcohol is distilled fewer times than more expensive or even middle of the road alcohols. The more times the liquor is distilled, the less impurities there are.
Here are some tips on how to avoid a hangover:
1. As stated above, stay away from excess sugar and cheap alcohol.
2. Don’t forget to drink water! Consume extra water before you drink, while drinking, and before bed. I’m sorry you will be peeing all night… but it’s worth it! Alcohol dehydrates the body which can lead to headaches, fatigue and dizziness.
3. Eat before and while drinking. If you are going to be drinking more than usual, make sure you eat enough. Alcohol is broken down in the stomach before it goes to the liver. If there is no food in your stomach, it will skip that step and go right to the bloodstream and make you more drunk than you would expect to be. For example if you are fine having one glass of wine, usually you might not realize that it will make you more inebriated on an empty stomach which could lead to drinking too much.
And we all make mistakes… here are some tips on how to cure a hangover:
1. Hydrate… again! If you are hungover, you are dehydrated. Rehydrate as early as possible and you’re hangover will be over in no time!
2. Eat healthy! Everyone says greasy food will cure a hangover, but there is no scientific evidence for that. The reason you probably feel better is because you’re eating! Your body needs calories after a night of drinking, so eat something healthy and easy to digest. If greasy food is what you desire, go for it! Just make sure you eat as early as possible.
3. Take vitamins! Take a multivitamin or a vitamin drink like Emergen C. I like Oxylent because the ingredients are much better than Emergen C or Airborne, but it is also more expensive. It will restore the nutrients you lost while drinking. The benefit of a vitamin drink over the pill is just that you can hydrate even more while restoring the lost nutrients.
4. Exercise! A light work out can make you feel better and get your blood flowing. I mean a really light work out, like a walk or a restorative yoga class.
5. Most importantly, SLEEP. What your body needs most to recover from anything is rest. Sleep in AND take a nap.
Last but not least, here are some specific drink suggestions and why I like them:
1. Titos- I choose Titos over higher-priced vodkas all the time because it is organic, affordable and distilled 6 times!
2. Tequila- Tequila comes from the blue agave plant and has health benefits over other drinks. It has simple sugars that break down easily so it is a good choice for people with blood sugar sensitivities. It is also said to help with digestion and even aid in lowering cholesterol (in moderation!) If you REALLY want a skinny margarita, drink tequila on the rocks with a lime slice 😉
3. Cider- Two of my favorite organic ciders are Sonoma Cider: The Anvil, which is a bourbon cider (yum!) and Samuel Smith’s Cider, which is one of the best regular hard apple ciders I’ve tasted!
4. Red Wine- Choose red! White wine isn’t bad or anything, it just doesn’t have the health benefits of red wine so when you can drink and say you’re being healthy you do it. Red wine has Resveratrol, a powerful antioxidant that protects against cell damage and keeps your heart healthy, just like exercise! It also has other antioxidants that are known to fight cancer cells. Stick to one glass a day and don’t skip the gym if you’re going for the health benefits 🙂
5. Juice Bars- Juice bars are becoming increasingly popular in Vegas. They’re like the juice bar in your neighborhood except you can get a shot in your juice! We’ll be trying them this weekend…